- Created on Sunday, 24 November 2013 21:20
- Created on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 23:27
Shortly before Google releases the next version of AOSP, code-named KitKat, we will be preparing Slim for the new release .
Firstly, let me begin with the incredible awesome journey we have all gone through.
In December of 2011, a new, small ROM based of ICS named SlimRoms was created by Arvind Raman. He single-handedly maintained Slim for several devices with the main purpose of having a slim sized ROM with some extra, useful features. The ROM gained attention as many users liked Arvind's philosophy. The userbase grew quickly and he had put a team together that could maintain existing devices as well as implementing Slim for new devices. As time went on, SlimRoms got more attention from developers whom also wanted to support Slim. As a result, they joined the team with the purpose of creating a unique ROM in a professional development environment. All of this was done to give the team and, more importantly, the users an awesome product with great features, visions, and most importantly, stability. When JellyBean (4.1) rolled out, SlimRoms grew into a 14 member team, many testers, and a large userbase whom have supported us all the way. We were also able to setup our own infrastructure: website, build servers, Jenkins, gerrit code review, bugtracker, IRC channels, G+ community, Facebook community, Twitter, our new launched Slim Forum, crowdin translations, etc etc
Because of this, SlimRoms received a major overhaul and developed new features that can now be found on nearly every rom. Beginning with The real dark Slim to switch the whole system and apps into night mode, our own interpretation of PIE, called SlimPIE, to make PIE useful for devices with hardware keys, PrivacyGuard Manager - which we developed for ourselves as well as CyanogenMod, Notification and QS shortcuts, QuickPeak, our own method to handle the navigation ring/bar. That is just some of them! We implemented all these features while also having the main purpose of being as stable as possible. According to our userbase, which is spread over all SlimBean versions and devices, we have managed to do a pretty good job and became to one of the major player roms beside CM, AOKP and PA. This is thanks to our users as well. Some of our ideas were not perfect, but our userbase helped us to obtain the best UX for our product. I would like to thank every single user for their awesome support. We really appreciate it and try to give it back to you as much as possible.
Never the less, the next steps will begin with KitKat. We are already preparing a lot things to get our ideas in to practice and to implement features Android has not seen until today (small teaser...a completely new multitasking way) as well as to grow the SlimRoms ecosystem. Also, a major, MAJOR part for us is the ability to provide our work as open-source, so that the whole Android realm can take advantage of it or will want to work with us on it. To begin, we will soon open our public trees on gerrit code review to the public so that everyone can contribute and work together with us. That being said, we also have some other areas where we would like to change and grow with your help. We are currently looking for the following people who would like to support and work with us on the different projects.
What we are looking for:
- Themer and Designer: We want to set up a theming team that can take care of theming gapps and apps, as well as providing Slim with one of a kind themes, wallpapers, boot animations, etc. If you have experience, we would be very happy to include you in our theming team. Currently, we are all working on it in our spare time, while also developing. We know that our users would be very happy that themes get more attention. That said, we would be happy for people whom would like to work on web design on our different platforms as well.
- Device Maintainers: More and more devices are being released from the various manufacturers, and it is hard to support them all. If you have a device we do not currently support, and you want to officially maintain it as well as keeping it up to date with our device trees, contact us and we will work with you to make this possible.
- Developer: With our current visions in mind, we are looking for developers to join our team. This ranges from frameworks base feature developers to app (to help create original, distinctive Slim apps ans replacing common apps with our own), kernel, and hardware tree developers as well. You will find a very professional developer environment which is, in my opinion, a great place to perform a hobby in a semi-professional way. We are not just looking for "awesome, polished" developers, novice developers are also welcome. After all, SlimRoms has always been about learning new things.
- Power-User / Social Platforms: We are searching for people for our social media team who would like to officially help in our forums threads as well on various other social networks to support our userbase more then we currently do.
Besides the mentioned environment, we offer a friendly team which has the main purpose of having fun, learning, and solving problems. If you are interested in working with us, can relate yourself with our philosophy, and want to join the SlimRoms team please contact either me, Lars (kufikugel) or Josue (prbassplayer) through our forum and let us know what you can and would like to offer, as well as what your current level of knowledge is with Android. Please, do not be afraid as we all started with less knowledge then we currently have. After you gain more insight from us, let us know if we offer a place you feel comfortable with.
Again, thank you to every single user, tester, and developer for your awesome, awesome support. Without all of you, SlimRoms would be never possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Created on Monday, 14 October 2013 15:47
To all our forum beta testers, we stopped our forum app because Tapatalk is now available for free.
- Created on Sunday, 20 October 2013 05:31
Although we planed to push a final stable 4.3.1 release this week we decided to move the stable release to next week to get the last little quirks out of our beloved SlimBean rom....assuming that 4.4 will drop after that. If you wonder why we stopped pushing new or changed features.....we are already working (beside getting stable 2.0) on SlimKat 4.4 features (revamp old ones and doing them better as well some new features) which will bring some absolutly new uniqe stuff into the android world....so stay tuned and enjoy the 4.3.1 weekly and comming stable build.
As usual please read Changelog and installinstructions below. Weekly will roll out now step by step in the next hours
- Massive Bluetooth updates from caf
- Merged missing 4.3.1 hardware/ril
- Various fixes for Gallery2
- Updated many translations
- Update Nova Launcher
- Update Google Music
- A lot small fixes
- Added Deb
- Added m7vzw
- Vendor blob update from 4.3 google edition
- Kernel 3.4.66
- Implement kexec-hardboot
- Fixed Black camera picture problem!
- CM device folder upstream
- Motorola devices:
- Massive upstream from cm
- Smart Wake (covers)
- Created on Sunday, 13 October 2013 11:34
Beside rom development we are always working to improve our environmente. Not far away and we will start openening our gerrit code review system which we are using over a year now to the public so that everyone can see what we are doing and that every developer who want to work with us can jump in and support us....develop with us....get part of the slim community.
That said community is one of the most important things without we never could exist. So we decided to open our own Forum....where you will find in future news, announcement, developing status, device threads and places for just talking about android. Let's grow the Slim eco system :)
You will find the new forum here....register and have fun: FORUM
- Update to aosp 4.3.1
- major overhaul of Privacy Guard. See this link for further information about the changes
- frameworks: adjustable clear all button location
- frameworks: PIN unlock random shuffle mode to avoid ppl can see your unlock move - thanks helicopter88
- Torch: complete overhaul of torch app - thanks CM
- Settings: improve AppOps detail layout
- When wifi/dalvik wants ASCII lowercasing, it needs to ask for it
- add otela web APN
- fix VIPNet Croatia APN
- fix dalvik logcat spam
- fix superuser wrong assigment of legacy folder
- update busybox
- KeyguardViewMediator: Play lock screen sound sooner
- Correcting NULL pointer when callerApp is not set
- fix up CDMA APNs
- audioflinger: Fix pops in LPA while effects are applied
- audioflinger: Fix delay in enabling effect for LPA
- Enable Tunnel Playback for msm8974
- Enable LPA/Tunnel audio for QCOM B-Family
- frameworks/av: Fixed framecount in AudioRecord
- audio policy: Avoid unintended update of a command's timestamp
- slimatalk app for new forum was removed due that tapatalk is now for free
- several device specific upstreams
- mako kernel update to 3.4.65
- crespo kernel changed to Devil by DerTeufel